How to Apply
Students on Ice Antarctic University Expedition:
December 28, 2013-January 9, 2014
- Undergraduate students and graduate students from universities around the world.
- Students who have a passion for, and interest in, Antarctica, adventure, education and the environment.
- Students agree to fully participate in the mandatory education and research activity program during the expedition.
- University credit-courses are available in conjunction with the expedition. (All students are encouraged to enroll in a field course through a partner university. If a student does not enroll in an expedition credit course, s/he will still be expected to fully engage in one of the courses.)
- Students may choose to register in one of several university courses while they participate in the expedition. Time on the ship will be divided between: (a) general presentations, lectures and activities that all students will engage in together to provide a general background on Antarctica; and (b) specialized workshops, seminars, research and activities focused on the topics outlined below, and led by the individual professor in charge of each field course. For more information about current university courses being offered, visit the 'Credit Courses' section of 'About the Education Program'.
- Students interested in participating in the Students on Ice Antarctic University Expedition 2013 must complete an Application Form and submit an administrative deposit and relevant supporting documents to Students on Ice. Please email, mail or fax the completed form to the Students on Ice office. The Students on Ice selection committee will be meeting regularly to review submitted applications. Successful applicants will be notified of their acceptance within two weeks after receipt of their application.
- Students interested in enrolling in one of the university credit-courses being offered in conjunction with the expedition must register through a partner university. (See 'Credit Courses' section of 'About the Education Program'.)
- Deadline to apply: There is no specific deadline to apply. Applications will be processed and students accepted on an ongoing basis.
- $13,500 CAD from Toronto, Canada + university course fees
- $11,500 CAD from Buenos Aires, Argentina + university course fees
- $10,750 CAD from Ushuaia, Argentina + university course fees
A $500 administrative deposit is required with every application. This deposit will only be processed upon a participants acceptance.
Contact the Students on Ice office regarding payment options. An expedition fee payment schedule may be customized to meet participant needs and financial capacity.
Please make cheques payable to Students on Ice Inc.
Payment for your course fees must be arranged directly with the credit-granting institution.
Email the Participant Coordinator to discuss payment plan options or call 1-866-336-6423 (in North America) or 1-819-827-3300 (around the world).
- Payment may be made by cheque, money order or bank transfer.
- Ask us about tax receipt opportunities.
Participating students are encouraged to seek their own funding and sponsor opportunities to offset the expedition costs. Please review the Students on Ice Fundraising Toolkit.
* Important - Students on Ice and the university partners of the SOI Antarctic University Expedition 2013 are actively seeking sponsorship and funding for the program. If successful, this funding will be used to lower the student expedition fees.
Go Green Challenge
- Everyone says they care about the environment. But do you have a big idea that could actually improve urban sustainability?
- If you do, submit it to the $100,000 Go Green Challenge. Were looking for ideas that can help urban communities coexist with the ecosystems around them. These could include initiatives related to
- Public transit
- Community design
- Energy conservation
- Naturalizing urban spaces
- Four (4) prizes of $25,000 each will be awarded to the four (4) teams that submit the best proposals. Each prize will be awarded to all student members of the team, jointly.
- Find out more about the Go Green Challenge here.
- Current ArcticNet students or northern students supervised or sponsored by an ArcticNet Network Investigator are eligible to apply for ArcticNet training funding to participate in the Students on Ice Antarctic University Expedition 2013.
- Applicants can find out more about the ArcticNet Training Fund here.
- The $40,000 per year fund, allocated through two annual competitions covers 75% of the participation costs of applicants up to a maximum of $5,000.
- An administrative fee of $250 is charged on all cancellations.
- Although not mandatory to participate, purchasing cancellation insurance is advised.
- All payments received by August 30, 2013 (120 days prior to the departure date) are refundable, less an administration fee. When cancellations are received after August 30, payments are not refundable.
A current passport valid for at least 6 months after the expedition.
- Personal travel medical insurance (including Emergency Medical Evacuation) is mandatory for all participants.
- The minimum coverage required is $100,000 USD for medical emergencies and $50,000 USD for medical evacuation, which must include air ambulance.
- Travel insurance costs approximately $50.
General medical forms will be provided with the Expedition Handbook once you are accepted. These forms must be completed and returned to the Students on Ice office.
A standard liability release form will be provided with the Expedition Handbook once you are accepted. This form must be signed by both student and parent(s)/guardian(s) (if student 18 years old or younger) and returned to the Students on Ice office.
Cabin and hotel room accommodations for participants are determined by Students on Ice.
- Participant Coordinator, Students on Ice
- Natural Heritage Building
- 1740 chemin Pink
- Gatineau, Quebec, Canada J9J 3N7
Toll free: 1-866-336-6423 (in North America)